VA Education Benefits

A covered individual is any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31 (Veteran Readiness & Employment) or Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®) benefits.

Not sure what benefits you qualify for? Visit the VA Education Program to learn about the benefits available to veterans, service members, spouses and family members:

These other VA education and training programs offer various education and training benefits or increased benefits to certain Reservists and Veterans and their survivors and dependents:

  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program
  • Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program
  • National Testing Program
  • National Call to Service Program


Yellow Ribbon

Temple University is a participating institution in the Yellow Ribbon Program. The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program is to offset out-of-state tuition charges, which allows institutions of higher learning education (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate and/or graduate students tuition rate. The institution can contribute up to 50% of the difference in expenses (in-state and out-of-state) and the VA will match the same amount as the institution.  


  • The VA determines which students are eligible for this benefit program. To learn more about  eligibility for the program, visit the VA Yellow Ribbon Program.
  • Students who are eligible for the In-State Tuition Rate (see below) will NOT be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program.


In-State Tuition Rate Eligibility

Out-of-state students who are GI Bill® beneficiaries under Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, and Sections 1606 and 1607 who reside in Pennsylvania are eligible for in-state tuition rate. Students do not have to be using their educational benefits.

  • Military personnel, their spouses and dependent children who are assigned to an active duty station in Pennsylvania and who reside in Pennsylvania.
  • Civilian personnel, their spouses and dependent children employed at a Department of Defense facility who are transferred by the Department of Defense and who reside in Pennsylvania.

To get the review process started for receiving an in-state tuition rate, please see GIBenefits information. If students receive an in-state tuition rate per PA Act 11, Temple University may review and adjust their financial aid package based on the in-state tuition rate.


Priority Registration
Academic Advising

Temple University offers incoming and continuing students numerous scholarship opportunities to assist you in financing your education. In addition, each school and college offers scholarships specifically for students enrolled in their programs. In most cases, students must be enrolled full-time and seeking a degree in order to qualify for these scholarships.

Please see Student Financial Services for more information.

Continuing student registration is the period in which all currently enrolled, degree-seeking students may register. Each semester, currently enrolled students are sent an e-mail containing the registration schedule. This schedule is also available on the Office of the University Registrar web site under Registration Information. In general, eligibility for priority registration is based upon the number of earned credit hours; however, active duty US servicemembers and veterans are eligible to register on the first day of priority registration, regardless of the number of earned credits.

Students receive academic advising directly from their school or college advising offices, and after they have declared a major, from faculty or staff advisors in academic departments. Students are urged to be in touch with their advising centers early and often to resolve questions about degree requirements, course selection, graduation checks, and many other academic matters.

Please see undergraduate Academic Advising for more information.

For assistance with the admissions and enrollment process, using education benefits, financial aid, or inquiries related to student support services, please contact:

Military and Veteran Services Center
Phone: 215-204-8387


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at